Monday, December 5, 2011

Tongue Tied

A few days after Emerson was born I noticed that her tongue sort of had a bit of a heart shape when she tried to stick it out.  Tried being the key word there.  She could barely get her tongue to her bottom lip...

I mentioned it at her 2 month doctors appointment, but our regular pediatrician was on maternity leave and when I mentioned her tongue to the substitute (replacement?  fill-in?  alternate?) pediatrician she just sort of told me that it didn't look too bad and that she'd probably be fine.. but if when she was older she had trouble talking then they could fix it.

That was not the answer that I wanted.. The last thing that I want is to have my 8 year old made fun of at school because of her weird speech.  I'm sure she'll have PLENTY of other things to be mocked for growing up.. no need to add extra. haha!!

I brought it back up to her real pediatrician at her 4 month appointment and the ped said that she was honestly surprised she was able to eat with how bad her tongue was tied.

So.... We scheduled an appointment for today

If anyone tells you that that fixing a tied tongue is no big deal and a super easy procedure they are lying to you.

Lying so so bad.

We scheduled an appointment today for 11.  Finally went back into the procedure room at about 11:50.. and didn't see the doctor until 12:30...

A very long long time for a baby who is ready for a nap and on the verge of getting hungry again... Also very very long time for a Mama who is already emotional just thinking about the whole thing.

Ammon tried to stay with us for as long as possible.. but he finally had to leave so that he could get to work.  So I got to experience the whole thing by myself.

And it was awful.

They had to strap her down to the table... complete with arm restraints...

That immediately started the crying

From both of us!

The doc then shot a MASSIVE needle into that thing under her tongue (you know, the one that connects the tongue to the bottom of your mouth).  And he used these two scissor looking clamp-like things to keep her tongue up at the top of her mouth.

This made both of us cry harder.

(Yes... I am a boob sometimes)

Finally, he made a couple of cuts in her tongue, then released her from her restraints and let me take her.

He then gave me a hug. haha!

Traumatic.... (the tongue thing, not the hug)

After Emerson calmed down a bit, I got out of there as fast as I could.  Mostly so I could call Ammon and bawl like a baby to him while I drove home.

doc office
Here we are waiting in the procedure room... we're smiling because we have no idea what's about to happen.


I do have to admit though.. that since coming home I have noticed that Emerson is already having an easier time eating than she ever has.


I suppose that means the whole thing was worth it....

Traumatic.. but worth it.  

4 comments:

  1. the poor little thing!!! I about died reading that:) Oh that was awful...for both of you. You are a brave girl for doing it yourself....Jaxson is 5 and I have never taken him for shots. It makes me weak in the knees to imagine him in pain. The other day he had the flu and I was pacing and bawling every time he threw-up! Oh...being a mom does suck sometimes. It makes you TOO vulnerable. THe scary part....it will never go away!!! haha. THanks for the sweet comment on my blog! Life is hard sometimes....it's amazing what we do for those little ones:) She is a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister had that same thing, but she had it done the first day she was in the hospital. She's so glad that we got it done for her. I'm sorry you had to experience that, I would have been a wreck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Traumatic yes, but also good. My sister's son had it and they wouldn't clip it until he was 5 or so YEARS OLD! He's 16 now and he still talks funny:( So glad it was taken care of when she was a baby, and at least she won't remember it:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, that's awful!! I'm sorry you had to go through that, glad it's over!

    ReplyDelete